Monday 17 October 2011

Oh, it's a Boy

So we had our 20 week scan.  

I always thought I'd have a girl. I don't know why, maybe because it's in my comfort zone having grown up with my sister.  It's what I know, I know what to expect with a girl.

To find out that we are having a boy, I'm not going to lie, we were disappointed.  Frank has one of each already so I'm not sure his disappointment was for the same reasons as mine.  I just thought that I would be better at mothering a girl.

Feeling disappointed about the sex of your unborn child is a controversial topic.  There are forums out there which you hope to gain support from, instead, you receive an attack of peoples personal opinions (which they are entitled to) yet are delivered with malice and accusation.  

Just because there was an element of disappointment initially, doesn't make us bad parents, love our son any less; I'm of the opinion that it is human to have these emotions & whilst I appreciate that there are readers out there that don't share this view with me, we are entitled to our own opinions! I've read posts "try losing a child then u won't care if it's a boy or a girl" OR "some people can't have children, don't be selfish". Yes & I sympathise with those people, it has taken me years to conceive, I didn't think I could be a mother so I understand where those points of view are coming from, but I simply don't share them. We are human, we all have preferences & whilst our baby boy was not what we'd initially thought we were having; we are so thrilled about having a boy, having him carry on Frank's family name is so special! 

So I have turned a corner, I am excited about having a son (who will no doubt tower over me when he is 10 as I am only 5ft!).

Oh it's a boy... not so much disappointment but love and excitement instead!

Now to tell the step-kids...

4 comments:

  1. Bless you...I can understand that. We're pregnant with our 2nd. Our 1st child is a gorgeous, delightful 3 year old girl and I would be lying if I didn't say that I hope we're having a girl. For much the same reasons...I've been there, done that with a girl. I know how it goes. Hubby is keen to have another girl as well. Now we don't know what we're having as we chose to keep it a surprise AND if it is a boy, we will love it no less than if it was a girl. We just want a happy, healthy baby in the end but yes, I am partial to pink! ;)
    Good luck for the rest of your pregnancy. We're at 32wks +6 so nearing the end. I'll keep you posted on what pops out! ;)
    Karin @ Cafe Bebe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post - love your honesty! It's always nice when someone comes out and says one of the things that most people feel but don't actually say :)

    ps. I've added you to my highlights of the week over on the BritMums blog - http://www.bmbblog.co.uk/2011/10/new-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted a girl. I have 4 boys & 3 miscarriages - of which people told me it's probably because I can't carry girls. I think it's more common than people let on but they can't cope with the attacks from others.
    Great post, thanks for sharing.
    Have you thought of a name for him?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the honesty,

    Boys are lovely - I have one - wouldn't change him for the world!!!

    enjoy x

    ReplyDelete